Syrian president Bashar al-Assad has been warned by the White House that he will face another response from President Trump if he uses chemical weapons again.
“As we have previously stated, the United States is in Syria to eliminate the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria,” The White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said in a statement. “If, however, Mr. Assad conducts another mass murder attack using chemical weapons, he and his military will pay a heavy price.”
The United States has identified “potential preparations” according to Spicer for another attack using chemical weapons, which would attack civilians.
“The activities are similar to preparations the regime made before its April 4, 2017 chemical weapons attack,” the statement read which was released on Monday night.
The president approved an attack in Syria in April of 59 Tomahawk missiles after proof showed that chemical weapons had been used against civilians, launched by Assad.
“It is in this vital national security interest of the United States to prevent and deter the spread and use of deadly chemical weapons,” president Trump said after the attack. The president continued saying that “beautiful babies” had been killed in the “barbaric attack.”
“No child of God should ever suffer such horror,” he added.
Attacks in Syria have been increased by the U.S. military in recent weeks, shooting down a Syrian Air Force Su-22 and Iranian-built drones.
After the Russians warned that “any aircraft” operating west of the Euphrates River would be treated as “targets”, the tensions increased.
The White House stood ground to their right to self defense despite the warnings.
“The escalation of hostilities among the many factions that are operating in this region doesn’t help anybody. The Syrian regime and others in the regime need to understand that we will retain the right of self-defense, of coalition forces aligned against ISIS,” White House Press Secretary Spicer said.